A burnt maroon hue appears in the glass. A perfume of plums, light vanilla, and white pepper arrives on the nose. This sharp and precise palate of dark berries, black licorice, and subtle essence of smoke creates a sophisticated and satisfying palate. More substantial in body, our Syrah will pair well with pork and rich mushroom dishes.
2016 was a test of patience and persistence in our vineyards, but we embraced the struggle and are proud of the results. Spring arrived very early and warm, with bud break four weeks ahead of normal, putting our vineyard crew into high gear with great anticipation for the growing season ahead. A late April snowstorm in South Osoyoos took the thriving vines by surprise, destroying a tiny fraction of our petit verdot vineyards. The summer that followed turned out to be wetter and cooler than expected, which slowed fruit development and forced increased vineyard management and around the clock weather monitoring. Luckily, our saving grace came with the long, warm fall season that saw a gradual cool down in temperature week after week, thus giving the grapes extra time to achieve full ripeness and flavour characteristics. This extra time gave our production team a chance to plan for the biggest harvest from our vineyards yet! The first handpick was in our Osoyoos vineyards on September 20, 2016 about four weeks later than in 2015. The vineyard crew carefully monitored temperatures and individual vineyard development, and harvested from September through until November 11th, when the cabernet sauvignon was finally picked. The extended fall season was instrumental in preparing the vines to survive what was to be the coldest winter the Okanagan Valley has seen in 50 years. The slow cooling process throughout fall allowed the vines time to enter a gradual dormancy, turn woody and store their reserves for hibernation so they can thrive again come spring 2017. Overall, the 2016 growing season was long, weathered and embraced by the team. We are grateful for the persistence and patience of the vineyard crew and Mother Nature, which resulted in yet another fantastic vintage.
The Syrah grapes were hand picked and sorted in our Haynes Creek Vineyard in south-eastern Osoyoos. After destemming, the berries were hand sorted again to ensure that only perfect fruit was included in the ferment. The must was cold soaked for four days allowing partial wild yeast fermentation to occur before the wine was inoculated with cultured yeasts. During fermentation, we pumped over twice per day to ensure even fermentation and gentle tannin extraction. Malolactic fermentation occurred in barrel over the winter and finished in late December. 30% of the 2016 Syrah was kept in new French oak barrels, while the remaining 70% was kept in one and two year old French oak barrels for 15 months. This wine was further developed in bottle for 12 months in the cellar prior to release.
The Syrah 2016 will develop for well over a decade. Ready to drink upon release. Drink 2019 – 2030.